When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At A1 Chesney Service Experts, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call A1 Chesney Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and decide whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Calgary, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Calgary or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 587-315-5271 or schedule an appointment with A1 Chesney Service Experts through our online scheduler.