When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you protect from damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair expert to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps paid off.
At A1 Chesney Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets thrown around during severe weather. Just be sure you have turned the system completely off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head out of your home, ensure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call A1 Chesney Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Calgary, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other issues that may come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Calgary or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 587-315-5271 or schedule an appointment with A1 Chesney Service Experts through our online scheduler.