What can be done to protect my home from carbon monoxide?
Preventing it from happening is the most essential place to begin. Completing appropriate safety precautions will reduce your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Calgary.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a large source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours going in the small space of a garage. The same applies for gas equipment including lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heating sources. These items are safe when run correctly but can produce carbon monoxide when used for an extended period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, because it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a pro. This verifies chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected properly.
- Verify gas appliances are operating correctly, especially your furnace. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe heating by scheduling annual furnace maintenance with A1 Chesney Service Experts.