When it’s time for a new water heater, energy efficiency is typically near the top of many people’s wish lists in Calgary. A tankless water heater is a decent option for saving energy. In fact, a tankless water heater is 8–34 percent more energy efficient than a storage water heater, according to energy.gov.
Unlike traditional tank heaters that heat gallons of water and store it for use, tankless water heaters use gas burners or electric coils to heat water on an as-needed basis, which could save you a lot on energy costs. Since the heated water isn’t stored for use later on, you don’t have to worry about paying for standby energy losses like you can with tank heaters. You’ll also benefit from having a constant supply of hot water. They are small in size, energy-efficient in design and low-cost to run.
When you turn on a hot water tap, cold water comes through the unit where either a gas burner or an electric element heats it. Then it goes to the tap, where you then have hot water. One caveat about tankless water heaters—specifically for big households—is that the flow rate of hot water may not be great enough to accommodate a handful of uses at once. One of our specialists will help you figure out what your flow rate is and provide recommendations based on their analysis.
Some people choose to install a separate tankless water heater that’s chosen for a specific appliance, like the dishwasher or the clothes washer—or as a booster for a solar water heating system. However, most homes in the Calgary area do alright with a single tankless water heater. Let’s look at some of the perks of having one:
- Most tankless water heaters have a lifespan of 20 years—that’s about twice as long as the lifespan of a regular tank heater.
- Most tankless units carry a federal tax rebate.
- Tankless water heaters hardly ever run out of hot water.
- You get improved energy efficiency with a tankless water heater because they are more efficient minus standby heat loss and only use the power necessary to heat the amount of water needed at any time.
- Tankless models need much less space than traditional tank water heaters. They can even be mounted on the walls and some can be put in small cupboards or closets. Smaller units can be put in under cabinets or in a closet, closer to the point of use.
With tankless water heaters, you get rid of the possibility of flooding due to a ruptured tank. Call A1 Chesney Service Experts today if you want an ENERGY STAR® rated, tankless hot water heater installed in your Calgary home. It’s a great energy-efficient addition for your home. We offer quality tankless hot water heater choices, knowledge and expert service—for all your tankless water heater needs. Give our team a call at 587-315-5271
or request an appointment with us online.