How to Protect Your Family from Carbon Monoxide
Quite a few common household appliances release carbon monoxide
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can build to harmful levels in your home when fuel-burning devices are not correctly vented, operated or maintained. Inhaling CO can cause carbon monoxide poisoning which attacks the nervous system, heart and could be fatal. It’s important to have your home checked for carbon monoxide regularly to help ensure safe air quality.
Common sources of CO in homes include certain:
- Space heaters
- Water heaters
- Clothes dryers
What do you know about CO?
Our survey results show the surprising lack of information homeowners have about the risks of carbon monoxide:
- 66% don’t know if they would identify the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning (headache, nausea, dizziness, or confusion).
- 94% of homeowners know that the furnace can release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but more than half (54%) don’t get an annual furnace tune-up, a simple step that can help ensure good furnace operation and venting.
- 54% don’t know the ideal place in the home to install a carbon monoxide detector (the Consumer Product Safety Commission says a detector outside of each separate sleeping area).
- More than half of homeowners (54%) don’t know that the clothes dryer may be a source of carbon monoxide; 25% don’t know that that fireplace also may be a source. Other potential sources include gas water heaters, gas ranges, charcoal grills, gas space heaters and wood burning stoves.
- Over one third of homeowners (34%) don’t have or aren’t sure if they have a carbon monoxide detector in their home; 41% say they never replace their carbon monoxide detector, or they aren’t sure how often it is replaced.
Determine your home’s CO risk
With a simple home comfort analysis, A1 Chesney Service Experts in Calgary can help keep your family safe this winter. Visit ServiceExperts.com/CO-Safety, call 587-315-5271 or use our online scheduler to set up an analysis of CO and other harmful indoor air pollutant levels.