Spring is wonderful for more than a few reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is normally at its most economical. That’s because you’re not turning to your furnace or air conditioner.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Calgary and keeping bills less expensive.
1. Call for Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system an annual tune-up can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Replacing your air filter will help keep energy charges down.
If your air conditioning equipment has experienced better days, spring is an excellent time to update it. The energy-saving technology in updated AC systems is a huge plus in keeping your power bill down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s a simple way you can save up to 10% on home comfort charges. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Focusing on how to expertly work your thermostat is the best way to lower energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and indoor temperatures, the less expensive your home comfort bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty house.
3. Try Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can turn to several other methods to help keep your house cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which drives cool air upward. This distributes cool air more equally when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly converts to heat as it moves through windows. Keep your residence more comfortable by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny spaces.
4. Look Into Getting a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and immediately realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and adjust the temp when you’re not around to help you save energy and money. You can also adjust the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These professional tips will all help keep summer energy costs less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 587-315-5271 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the best solution for your space. And as always, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.