Spring is wonderful for more than a few reasons: flowers are blossoming, you can open windows for outdoor air and your utility bill is often at its most economical. That’s because you’re not turning to your furnace or air.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy bills. Here are a few ideas for saving energy in Calgary and keeping costs low.
1. Call for Yearly AC Maintenance
Giving your AC system an annual tune-up can help it run more efficiently and cut down costs. Switching out your air filter will help keep energy expenses down.
If your air conditioning equipment has experienced better days, spring is an excellent time to upgrade it. The energy-saving technology in updated AC systems is a big plus in keeping your power bill down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling charges. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Figuring out how to expertly work your thermostat is the best way to reduce energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re in the house. Think about it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and indoor temperatures, the less expensive your home comfort bill will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a much higher temperature or switch it off. It doesn’t make sense to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Ways to Cool Your Home
You can turn to several other approaches to help keep your residence cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no decrease in comfort. Have your fan spin counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which drives cool air upward. This distributes cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly transforms into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your house more comfortable by drawing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny spaces.
4. Look Into Using a Smart Thermostat
You’ve left home and immediately realize you failed to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and adjust the temp when you’re not around to help you save energy and money. You can also adjust the conditions from anywhere with your phone.
These professional ideas will all help keep summer energy costs less expensive. If you figure out it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 587-315-5271 or contact us online. We’ll help you find the best solution for your space. And like always, all our services are endorsed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.