Annually, over 20,000 people end up in the hospital as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This colorless, odorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s virtually undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, according to the CDC, is given off by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the heating months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your family safe, A1 Chesney Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as bedding, paper, or clothing, a distance over three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Don’t leave portable heaters or fireplaces alone. Turn off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are completely extinguished before going to bed or leaving home.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, fire-resistant surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and pets away from space heaters.
- When buying a new space heater, invest in a model that powers off automatically if the heater tumbles over.
- Do not use a oven to heat your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The ideal thing you can do for your furnace is to be sure it’s not only ready to keep you warm all winter but also safe, is to call for your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, A1 Chesney Service Experts will check to make sure your furnace is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 587-315-5271 today and ask how you can save on a heating tune-up through November 25th.